Wednesday, November 23, 2005

I had dessert today in the school cafeteria, a bowl of Jello with a vanilla sauce over it, and as I was taking it off the counter, the lady said: "Und das ist Wackelpudding."

For those who haven't experienced it, learning a foreign language is, I would say about 70 % of the time, understanding something, then wondering if it's actually what you heard. And, like most activities here, these moments are accompanied by a glassy stare.

So I asked her to repeat herself: "Wie heißt man das nochmal (What do you call that again)?

"Wackelpudding." Yes, I was right: Jello is literally "Wagging Pudding" in German. God, I love this language. Sometimes I forget, but then things like this happen and I remember.

And for now on, Jello is to be Wagging Pudding.

And stay tuned for the Munich Special (tm)!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home