Thursday, October 13, 2005

So as of today I have eaten Herring. Actually, it was Herring in a can, but it still counts. It DOES sound disgusting, doesn't it? I wasn't really planning on trying it a month ago, but the desire to eat something other than pork drove me too it. It was kind of a culinary satori, actually.

I was walking through my beloved Jens Markt hungry as hell, but finding myself swallowing hard everytime I looked over at the meat counter. I for one believe in listening to what my body tells me, especially when it comes to eating, so I went around the corner and found myself staring at the absurdly large variety of canned fish. Long and short of it is, I walked out with one can of Herring in a pepper cream sauce and one can of smoked Mackeral. I haven't eaten the Mackeral yet, but of the Herring I can say: YUM.

That's right, the Herring was good. And not only was it good, it wasn't fishy. I know that the United States has an interesting opinion of the olfactory qualities of Northern Europe's favorite Shad (I know, I was among that number until this morning), but I can tell you that it isn't true. It's actually less fishy than Sardines. True, a dirty warf bubbling under a Ugandian heatwave isn't as fishy as Sardines, but it's true.

It's actually quite nice. I think the difference is that Sardines are manufactured for college students too cheap to pay for a real snack (me), or people so secure in their own qualities as a human being that they don't need to be bothered with human contact, and Herring is made for Breakfast, and therefore actually tastes good. The pepper cream is was packed in was really good. With some Schwarzbrot it makes a good meal.

On another note: Jesus Herbert Christ, is "Twelve Angry Men" a good movie! If you haven't seen it, you should, and you can take that to the bank, because my opinion is just that informed. I bought it yesterday at the deparment store. In German it's called "Die Zwölf Geschwonenen," or "The Twelve Sworen." Cool, no?

So, what have we leaned today? 1. Herring is actually a very tasty and under-rated fish, and 2. "Twelve Angry Men" is one of the greatest movies ever made. And I hope you brought your decoder rings, because today's code is: XYASB CD BWSAX

Have fun!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home