Tuesday, October 11, 2005

So as of today, I am a legal alien in the Federal Republic of Germany. I payed 50 € for my Aufenthaltserlaubnis and have a really cool looking addition to my passport to go along with the luxary of not getting deported in 60 days. It's got holograms, stamps, and a monstrously official looking eagle over on the right of the page. Badass.

As for what I've done lately, not too much, just drunk two liters of orange juice mostly and saying rather inpolite things about my nose and this stupid cold. Today I did pick some apples in the backyard, which was, despite what it sounds like, unspeakably cool. There are apple trees everywhere, and on top of that, they're really good. Badass.

Just a general observation: old ladies here are awesome. Let me explain. While I was in Cologne last week I went to a birthday party for Inge, who was turning 85. You're all asking "who's Inge," and to that I say "tough, I'm not going to tell you." That's a lie, actually. She's the mother of the person I was staying with in Cologne.

Anyway, while there I feasted on smoked salmon, eel, and trout. I know what you're thinking. It's OK, be that way, I don't care. No, really, I don't. But it was really good. How do you know if you've never tried it, huh? That's what I thought. Smoked salmon is actually really good. It's kind of fishy tasting at first, but once you get past that, it really starts to grow on you. It has the texture of good sushi but isn't raw. And I'm a sucker for salmon anyway.

Smoked eel, just so everyone knows, is MUCH better than fried eel. The fried eel was good, but it was, you know, kind of on the "Christ, that's greasy!" side. The smoked eel was also a little firmer and the texture was really nice. And eel tastes yum yum yummy. Now, aren't you glad you know that?

I also tried Alster Wasser the other day (2 weeks ago), a 50\50 mixture of beer and limonade. Also sounds disgusting, no? Well, it's actually really good. The bottle was too big, so I got tired of drinking it after a while, but if it were smaller, it would be nearly perfect, especially when you want something cold and kind of refreshing.

A note on my method of keeping time. I say "the other day" all the time, but in reality, it has nothing to do with the recent past. In fact, it could, in extreme circumstances, refer to an event several years ago, but that's kind of rare. When that happens, you can just blame that on my inability to have a broad concept of time in general. Most of the time it refers to something between now and 6 months before. So just keep that in mind if I use that in the future and don't bother to explain further.

This post, as I'm sure you've noticed, has nothing to do with old ladies. It happens. Next time. Maybe. I have a lot to put up here, but since school's out, and I have to pay for my internet access, I keep things at shorter intervals. So until next time. And don't forget your decoder rings!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home