Friday, September 23, 2005

You know you're a huge freaking dork when you feel absolutely fulfilled simply by joining a library. That's right; as of yesterday afternoon, I am a card-carrying member of the Burg auf Fehmarn Stadt Buecherei! Not only do they have books there, but also (joy of joys) CDs to copy! And most of them are really, really good. There is an oddly large collection of Phil Collins albums, which is unfortunate, but it's not enough to temper the fact that I now have access to a CD collection and German Childrens' books, and all for just 18,00 Euro! Whoohoo!

On the other hand, the Metric System sucks. Yes, that's right, sucks! Damn it for being so damned efficient and easy to calculate. Base 10, who ever heard of such a stupid idea? Excuse me, but I'll keep my Base 16 antiquated Anglo-Saxon system of weights and measures, thank you very much. I tried to make rice last night using the instructions on the side of the box, and instead of producing tasty, fluffy long-grain rice, I came up with some kind of half-assed rice pudding. Again I say: damn yoNapoleonan for demanding standardizeded system of measurement to unify your empire! My misunderstanding of course has nothing to do with the failure of my educational system to familiarize me with the basics of the system. Oh no, it's just a stupid system. Although, I did find out the other day while registering my address that I am 1,72 meters tall. Man, that's cool.

Today I go find the bus schedule so I can get to the train station to get off this island for a bit, not that I'm saying it isn't nice. Maybe I'll go to Luebeck. I don't know.

I also went to the old Lutheran Church down the street to take some pictures, which was awesome. The church was built in 1230, so I knew there would be some neat-o Medieval stuff in there, but I had no idea how much! First of all, there's the cool mosiac over the door that says in German: 'Go through his gate with thanks,' just under a picture of a saint with a halo in front of a windmill, a ship, and something else I can't quite indentify. Did I mention that Fehmarn was full of pirates and brigands when the church was built? No? Well, it was! And what's better is that not everyone on the island was Christian when the church was built, which raises the very real possibility of Pagan Viking Pirates! The five year old in me is gourged on endorphins (pretty sure I spelled that wrong) right now.

Anyway, right inside the door is a HUGE wooden crucifix, complete with blood painted on his chest. But the coolest thing has to be the knights in armored helmets painted on pillars, right next to jesters. Of course there were other things, but it would take forever to talk about them all, so I'll just leave it like that. OH, the pipes to the organ...wow. It's not as big as the cathedral in Cologne (Köln if you want to impress), but not much is. Though I have to say, it felt a lot more Medieval in Burg.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home