Thursday, September 01, 2005

Finally, a post. Actually, I wrote one a couple of days ago, but I couldn't post it, so here I am in a little internet cafe in Burg, writing it, and all the others, all over again. Joy. And I should say, the keyboards here are a pain....my habit-ridden mind has a hard time with elemental changes like these. The language, confusing, but nothing I can't handle, but don't mess with my keyboards, dammit! OK, so I'll try to sum up the last few days:

We landed at Frankfurt International Airport at about 6.45, and made through customs with no trouble; just a stamp from a statue wearing a German police uniform, and we're through. We make it outside the airport with no problems, but have no clue where our hotel is, so we do one of those elegant spins that says "Help" is big letters. Enter the taxi driver. His "Ausländer Sense" was well-honed. Impressive, very impressive. He was a short little guy and....enthusiastic. He wouldn't let mom or me touch any of the luggage, and after watching him load it all in the car, we headed off.

At about this time, I started noticing his accent, which definitely wasn't German. Turns out he was Greek, and he's lived in Germany for 35 years. Ironic. I did OK, even though I had to reboot once I realized I'd have to remember numbers. The ride was 20 Euro. Whatever. We got to the hotel, pretty much end of first day, and first post....Sorry, but I'm trying to catch up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home