Thursday, June 08, 2006

As of now, I have watched "All The President's Men" and AM watching "The Spy Who Loved Me" (that's James Bond for you uncultured types), which makes for a good day. But that's not why I'm here. Hmmm, why am I here? Come to think of it, why is anyone here? Is it enough to live, or are we meant to do something greater, somethi....Sorry, just a bit of freshman year flashback. It's astounding how damn BRILLIANT you can be tanked up on Cheerwine and stained orange by stale Cheetos at five in the morning. But all that's beside the point.

What is the point? Last weekend was a good one. I had visitors. Yes, yes, I know. You're all thinking: "What, hold on, visitors? How did he manage that?" The answer is simply that it really didn't have anything to do with me, or the fifteen goat livers I roasted on hot stones last week under the half moon. It appears, strangely enough, that they just wanted to come, and I wasn't one to argue. So Stacy and Jenny arrived Saturday afternoon under a beautiful northern German sky, an endless, formless, expanse of blinding white driven by persistent wind and pissing rain. Now, in case you, my dear reader, have, I don't know, slept under a rock for the last ten months, there isn't a whole lot to do here if you don't rent a house and mind supping on ice cream and sleeping in a beach basket all summer. If that's your scene, you're set, but if you're one of the 15,000 people who call Fehmarn home for twelve months of the year, you're kind of screwed.

That said, I'm impressed how it all worked out, and not just because I was actually able to find something for us all to do for an entire day; it gave me the chance to see the island through a fresh set of eyes, which helped me appreciate it more. The first part of the day was taken up with eating lunch at a seafood place on Markt and taking a blitz tour of the old church while waiting for the next bus to Puttgarden. Oh, there are taxis, but they were all busy, or so the guy on the phone told me. ALL of them. Every single one. I don't know why I was surprised, because there had to be several thousand tourists here for the Pfingsten (Pentacost) holiday weekend. While I'm on this whole tourist thing, tell me: does it make a bad person that I sometimes want to push the old ladies off the sidewalk who walk about 0.00001 miles per hour side by side, affectively blocking your way as they stare at EVERY postcard on EVERY rack on the street? If your answer that that question is an "affirmative," keep in mind that it was more of a rhetorical question, a critical prompt, if you will. If, on the other hand, your answer is a "negative," feel free to write.

Anyway, the day before, I thought to myself: "Hey, you know, riding the ferry over to Denmark would be fun. I mean, I've never done it." It was one of those ideas that hit me with a mixure of excitement and ripened guilt all at once; I was excited because I've never done it, but that enthusiasm only served to drive home the fact that I SHOULD have by now. Yes, this is how I think. Welcome.

Stacy and Jenny didn't have their passports with them, and neither did I, come to think of it, but we decided to give it a shot anyway and ask someone near the ferry who looked like they might have the scoop on this whole "going to another country" thing. We weren't too worried about it, really. I mean, this is the German-Danish Border, which is kind of like the US-Canadian line after smoking three joints while knitting a loose fitting cap to Bob Marley: Greatest Hits records. "Welcome to Denmark: Whatever, Dude." And can you blame them? All that square paper pushing can, like, totally harsh your mellow.

But not being citizens of the EU, the world's only running Super Nation, we thought it would be better to ask someone if we needed our passes, someone who, in this case, turned out to be an older man standing right by the entrance to the ferry. Convenient. OK, los geht's. "Excuse me," Jenny said, walking up, "but we were wondering: do we need our passes to get on the ferry. Our passports. We don't have them."

"What?" Apparently, the question smelled something like rotten eggs wrapped in wet dog hair, because he managed to bring his eye brows all the way down to the bridge of his nose, pushing them together at the bottom so they assumed the rough outline of a dead caterpiller.

"Do we need our passports to get on the ferry?"

"I don't give a shit, I just take your tickets."

Well, OK then.

As it turns out, no one checked through the whole 45 minute trip, so I was free to stop and watch the gray waves and imagine fleets of trading ships bound for England or Russia, and the small pirate ships that ambushed them. Sometimes, if I'm lucky, the ships come with names and histories. It's what I do. But back to the real boat.

A border, with all the duty free perks, is probably the best way to describe it. It was huge, with six decks according to the buttons in the lower deck elevator, and I can believe it. I've watched the ferries dock before while waiting for the train from Copenhagen to roll off, and they look like something out of Star Wars (the original, please, none of this "Special Edition" or Episodes I, II, or III crap. I have standards), and by "something" I mean the Jawa droid trader vehicle in the first one. And don't pretend you don't know what I'm talking about. I know who you are.

At this point, you might be asking yourselves where the ferry docks in Denmark. Well, the map will tell you Rødby, something approaching a town, but it's really Rødbyhaven, or harbor, an industrial wasteland with just enough houses to provide for the population needed to give the place the desired "Twilight Zone" ambiance. It was a real post-Apocalyptic metropolis, let me tell you. The city plan was unnaturally wide and empty; the streets are more like asphalt and brick boulevards than small town thoroughfares. There was a bar called "The Golden Lady" and an ATM machine. Oh, and a Greasy Spoon joint, complete with washed out, yellowed pictures of the menu outside. That was it. Rødbyhaven isn't dead, it's already buried.

So I don't know why we were so surprized when the bus to Rødby didn't show up. The plan said it was supposed to run on Saturdays, but the shit-eating grins we got from people passing in their cars told us otherwise. Having a bus stop must have been one of those things the city designer read about in a magazine, one of those accessories that takes your end-of-the-earth hamlet and transforms it into a real city.

All that, though, didn't change the fact that we were in Denmark! I couldn't read a damn thing, except the sign for the "Golden Lady," and it was great, if not a bit confusing; I had started to take the fact that I can read signs and books for granted, I think. It might sound lame, but walking around a deteriorating Danish village was one of the coolest things I've done in a while. I mean, I came over the ocean just to get there! This reaction was pretty common in our little group, by the way.

But that doesn't mean we stayed all that long.

Once we got back to Fehmarn, we heading on down to the Südstrand (South Beach) to look at the ocean now that the weather had cleared up, and it didn't disappoint. The Baltic on a good day is actually a light blue color, almost greenish, which I guess has something to do with its very low salt content. The wind was puffing at that "knock you off your feet" strength, but that only added to the authentic northern German experience. There was a fest, too, where we all bought the world famous Danish Hot Dog. And no, I didn't miss the irony there.

The Danish Hot Dog is composed of the following elements:

1) Bright Red Sausage, thin
2) Equal squirts Ketchup, Mustard, and some kind of Romoulade or Sweet Mayonnaise
3) Fried French Onion Bits
4) Sweet Danish Pickle Slices

Think it sounds nasty, don't you? Well, you're wrong: it was delicious.

Denmark, land of contrasts, how good you are.

9 Comments:

Blogger Der verwirrte Ausländer said...

Man, a real comment! Cool. I think you're the third one in a year, so congratulations. No, I've never made it to Kiel, but I've heard it is a nice place. Is the 16-24 Kieler Woche? I've heard about that. Maybe I'll make it down there before I have to go: I'm always up for ideas.

3:18 AM  
Blogger Der verwirrte Ausländer said...

Yeah, I've only got a year here in Germany. It's 10 months, actually, and I've only got two weeks left of that, the Grant part anyway: I'm going on vacation with my parents after that.

How long have you been in Germany? Do you live here? Well, OK: it's pretty obvious that you live here, but is it permanent, or school, or something like that?

Man, a conversation on my own comments page....who would have thought? You're right, comments are exciting. OK, I have to make sure my dinner doesn't burn.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Der verwirrte Ausländer said...

I was starting to get really excited about seeing all my friends again, but I've definitely gotten a little sad packing up, which I guess is one of those universal things. It will be good to get home, but I'll definitely miss it here. It's kind of like a little home away from home at this point. But that doesn't mean that I can't come back to Germany at some point. I'm hoping it will be late in 2007 through 2008, but I guess I'll have to see how that goes.

But yes, life on Fehmarn can be kind of dull, and by that I mean "boring," but the people have always been really nice, so it equals out in the end. I wouldn't choose to live here, though: I was placed by the exchange program after I asked for Schleswig-Holstein. It is pretty here, though, or at least right now. It's kind of a laid-back place for vacation.

Where are you heading off to in 2008? I guess you're almost done with school, aren't you? I have to say, leaving home can be lots of fun. Have any ideas where you'd like to go? I just realized I kind of asked that question twice, but I'm too lazy to fix it....oh, well.

"The Omen," I haven't seen that yet, or at least not the new one. I've seen the old one with Gregory Peck, which is really good. I assume you saw the new one? I'd be curious to see how the two match up. I sounds like the one you saw still has all the creative deaths scenes in there that managed to totally freak me out the last time I saw it. Is the little kid the creepiest thing ever?! There's just something about evil children that's really scary. I can't really remember what happens after he lives. He's the Anti-Christ, right? I really don't like the sight or thought of blood, but I still watch horror movies. Go figure. I guess it's some kind of self-torture.

This conversation is random as all hell, but I have to say, I'm glad my blog got bookmarked somehow, because this is fun. And as a person who finds random bookmarks in his browser, I can totally identify with your confusion.

Just a random note: your blog looks much better than mine....maybe I should work on that. OK, got to run. Talk to you later.

3:02 AM  
Blogger Der verwirrte Ausländer said...

Awesome! As a person with a severe learning disability in math, and whose best friends in High School were severe dyslexics, I can tell you that special needs teachers rule. I never would have made it through Algebra or Geometry if I didn't have lots of help. So, yeah, that's a really cool idea. It's a nice thing to do. I know we appreciated it anyway. I mean, they are the reason I got through school in the first place. AND you get to go to England! I've never been, even though I have family there, but I've always wanted to go. Maybe one of these days.

Have you always wanted to get into special ed, or is it something that's just come along and caught your interest? I guess everyone asks you that question, don't they? Sorry. Chalk up one more, I guess.

People ask me similar questions when they find out I've been studying German, and I really haven't figured out a good answer. I've thought about becoming a teacher, but I'm not all that sure if I should do that or not, since this year hasn't really done too much in the way of boosting my confidence in my abilities. I do like to write, though. Maybe that's something. Who knows. Through with college, and I still don't have to much of an idea. So it goes.

It's a pity about Manchester, though. Maybe you can be a muck raker: you know, someone who's kind of subversive on the soccer front from the inside, a reverse spy, if you will. It might not do anything, but it could be lots of fun. If I didn't dislike violence so much, and weren't such a bad liar, I'd love to be a secret agent. I do hear Leeds is a cool town....I can't remember where I heard that from, but whoever told me really liked it. You'll have lots of time to go other places when you're done, so you could make it there. That's one of the coolest things about being finished: you're kind of on the ground floor of everything. It's one of the reasons why I'm here. It sounds like you'll like it. Going to another country's fun.

I think kids in horror movies are some of the scariest things ever, ever since the two little girls in "The Shining." The pictures of the little kid in "The Omen" have got him with black hair and a really pale face....I don't know where they found him, but he's a perfect little demon dwarf-child. You're right, though: Japanese movies take it to another level.....they're just so......creepy, kind of in that goose bumps, "yuck" way. "The Ring" kept me from answering the phone for a good day (lame, I know), and that little ghost girl showed up in dreams for about a week. "Audition," another Japanese horror movie, is the nastiest, bloodiest, most disturbing movie I've ever seen. Have you seen it? If you have, you'd never forget it. I know I must have turned green watching it. I don't know, maybe it has something to do with the Japanese psyche. Little Japanese girls.....gahhhhh.

What's "Fear Dot Com" about? I don't think I've ever seen it, though I think I have heard the name before.

Tuesday was in fact disgusting. I even went so far as to go out and buy myself a pair of shorts because my jeans were getting a little steamy. I don't know exactly how hot it got that night, but 20 degrees sounds about right, because I ended up sleeping with no covers with the windows open, and it was still hot. But I'm scared to say to much, in case the weather gets really cold again....I have to try to keep the weather Gods happy. I mean, at least I can sit outside now. Is it always so hot this time of year? 20 degrees is pretty decent at home during the summer, but I'm not used to that anymore.

OK, back to packing up....yay. The people at school are trying to convince me to take some time off to go to Kieler Woche, but I'll have to get more done if that's going to happen. I'll probably end up watching TV tonight, though. OK, I'll talk to you later.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Der verwirrte Ausländer said...

OK, first off, that's one scary damn girl. The picture I found had her holding some big white ball. I don't know why she had it, but I definitely got the feeling she'd kill me to keep it, and being killed my an evil child in a horror movie just makes your untimely death that much more insulting. The huge head of hair and pale skin was a really nice touch to push home the "you're going to die now" point. Plus, ghosts that have anything to do with computers are creepy, mainly because I pretty stupid when it comes to computers, but it also turns something harmless, something I use every day, into something that wants to ruin my soul, which always manages to keep me up for a bit.

Of course, Old Yeller did too. I don't know if you've seen that, but it's another one of those "safe" Disney movies that traumatizes you when you're young. It's about a boy and his dog, and those movies seldom ever end well. I wonder why that is? And it always freaked me out when Ariel got her voice stolen in The Little Mermaid....I'm not sure why....I'm rambling, aren't I? Sorry. I do that sometimes, especially when it comes to cartoons. And it's late.

Kieler Woche definitely sounds interesting. There's something to be said for sleaze: you either appreciate it or you don't, I guess. Why is it that sailors and surfers tend to bring it with them? It's just one of those things, I guess. There's a huge military base, Fort Bragg, just a couple hours from my house, and the whole town it's in is a pit. It's awful, but people kind of like it in a twisted way. It is what it is.

It sounds like an interesting time to live in Kiel, though, nice and.....I guess "relaxed" isn't the right word, is it? "Sloshed," maybe? I'm not really a big party guy, but things like that are fun to go to, if for no other reason than to watch the people go by who've gone a bit too far. I guess the police take it a bit easy then too, huh? It's kind of nice when that happens. Maybe you should buy some hang over remedies for your friends and give them out as early presents....I was kind of the guy in college who would get them water, or make sure they could get to the bathroom, that kind of thing, It's glamorous, I know. But there's nothing wrong when huge parties, as long as people don't over do it.

That's really cool that you did all that work with those kids. The High School I went to was a special education school, and a lot of people there had Tourettes or Aspergers, or in the case of a friend of mine, both. He was an interesting, guy, let me tell you. He had this habit of screaming "shove it up your ass" or "nigger" really loud during class meetings, and then have no idea what he said. Either that, or he didn't ever realize it was a bad thing to say. I never could figure out which. He was a comic genius though, and I think he knew it. Anyway, I got to really like the guy, but he was difficult, and I was always impressed with the amount of patience the teachers would have with him. It's definitely a gift to be able to help kids like that.

But I think spending time around different....outlooks, I guess you could call them, is a good thing. I know I became more tolerant for it. So in the risk of sounding way too enthusiastic, I will say again: I think that's a really cool idea you've got. much better than being a German/English teacher, anyway.

Your English is fantastic, by the way. I just feel like I should say that. I mean, I assume German is your first language, since you've lived in Kiel your whole life. I could be wrong though....that has been known to happen. But yeah, it's really good. Have you been abroad? This is where being tired makes even my typed sentences sound awkward. I guess that's a sign that I should go to bed under thick covers, since the weather has cooled off a bit today...man, it's odd. I'm glad to here it's not normal. OK, talk to you later.

3:51 PM  
Blogger Der verwirrte Ausländer said...

I was told by a waitress once that everyone should have at least one chemical dependency, and I tend to agree (apart from cocaine, heroin, or crack, of course), so your need for coffee and cigarettes in the morning is pretty normal. Well, OK, it depends on how much coffee you drink. I had a teacher who drank 14 cups a day, and that's just not normal. I personally have developed quite an addiction to coffee and Gummi Bears (never together, thank God), but I'm working on those. It's threatened to get pretty bad. Then there's the fact that mornings can just be no fun, especially when people expect you to do complicated things, like thinking.

As far as the English thing, I'll point things out from now on, if you'd like (there aren't any mistakes except the word "outbreak" in the last one, where "outburst" would be better). Hope you don't mind that I just did that.

Not wanting to correct language mistakes is one of those American things I always laugh at, but I do it anyway. Americans are terrified of being thought rude, especially when it comes to languages. Culture will get you every time, it seems. Of course, you use British English, so some of the ways I'd say something might be really different....The phrase "mustn't" gets me every time.....when I student asks me if a sentence is right, and they've used "mustn't," I have to think for a bit. I don't think I'll ever get used to it. It makes me head want to explode....it just sounds so complicated.

And I have no interest to learn French, basically because I really don't have any interest to go to France....I'll let them hate me from a distance without giving them the pleasure of hating me in their own cities. Sorry, that just happens to be one of my international prejudices. It comes out sometimes. Besides, German and English sound better, I think.

Since you're a self-described music addict, I will ask you the predictable and annoyingly impossible question: what are you're five favorite bands or albums, not necessarily in any order? Don't you just love that question?

I'm really jealous that you have record stores in town! I love record stores, especially when they're absolutely stuffed with records and CDs in racks or, if it's a really good place, boxes on the floor too. Only problem is, I always feel like I should walk out with something, which isn't always good on the wallet. It's been awhile since I bought a good CD. I have a turn table at home, and I can't wait to get home and play with it, and buy records to play on it.

Oh, did you get anything at the store....I guess it would be yesterday now, wouldn't it? € 1,50 is fantastically cheap! Man!

I hope this doesn't offend you (I don't think it will), but why is it that German radio seems to be a collection of the worse music the United States has ever made? I don't get it. Of course, US radio is a collection of the worse stuff the US has ever made. Journey....(shudder)....Styx....gah. So I've just realized that I've written alot, and it's late. I'll just stop here for now and go to bed. Cool. Talk to you later.

4:01 PM  
Blogger Der verwirrte Ausländer said...

If my correction crushed your soul a little, I apologize, but I do have a vicious streak, you see. It's pretty awful. Sometimes, I even forget to hold the door for someone. I know, I live on the edge. It's what I do. Oh, you're welcome, by the way.

As for why Americans don't want to seem rude, it's basically because no one there can speak a second language, so if you can make yourself understood in a language that isn't your first, people are generally in awe, and don't want to discourage you. My mom keeps telling all her friends that I'm fluent in German when I'm obviously not, but nothing I say seems to convince her otherwise, because I can put three words in a row at reasonable easy. It's a trait that drives me nuts, but I still do it. Well, and Americans are also hopelessly optimistic and hate to say anything negative if we can get away with it. Yes, it is THAT annoying. You should see a creative writing workshop: everything is just GREAT, regardless of what crap it turns out to be.

As far as why no one knows a second language, I have a more complicated theory about that, but I won't inflict that one on you unless requested.

I'm glad the lack of genitive bothers you too, because I always feel like a really out-dated fart when I use it. So few people use. I wonder why that is? At least I'm not totally off the ball, there. Grammar's one of my guilty little geek things I secretly enjoy. That in mind, here's a guilty little pleasures list for you:

--Mighty Morphin Power Rangers

Yeah, I know. It's not really something I'm proud of, but I was pretty solidly addicted from the age 13 to 16, and I have to admit I'd watch it again if it came back on TV with the old cast....I was that picky. Ugh.

--"Eye of the Tiger"

I've tried so many times to get myself off that song, but I just can't. Most people like it because it's funny, but I have to admit that I actually like it. Somehow.

--MTV Dating Shows

I can't explain this.

--Highlander

The movies aren't any good, but I love them, and might even go through the effort to defend them.

--Kindergarten Cop

It still surprises me. I think I might have to go purify myself now.

But as far as music goes, I agree with your lists, which seldom happens, really. I just realized the other day that I don't have my copy of "The Queen is Dead," and it's been bothering me lately.

Have you read Bob Dylan's book "Chronicles?" It's fan-freaking-tastic! There are supposed to be two more volumes, and if they're as good as the first, they may turn out to be my favorite books. Of course, I am a bit of a Dylan fanboy, so it's too late for me.

My friends and I can pass the time for hours making similar lists, the most complicated of which was "Places That Are Safe or Unsafe In The Event Of A Zombie Attack." We talked it up for about five hours, and stopped to sleep. As it turns out, cellars are the safest, abandoned amusement parks and malls, the most dangerous.

Oh, Favorite Movies:

--The Godfather
--The Labyrinth
--The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
--Full Metal Jacket
--The Usual Suspects

That's kind of rough, but you know how it is with the limited space. I also have a "Movies and Bands That Were Ruined For Me Because Of Crazy Fans List:"

--The Matrix

I like it, the first one anyway, but if anyone makes it out to be the deepest movie ever one more time....

--Led Zepplin

Good band, too many times on the radio. No more "Immigrant Song," please. Or "Stairway." Sadly, I have a hard time listening to them now.

--Lynard Skynard

OK, so I just hate them, but they had to make the list.

--Fight Club

I really like this movie, which makes it extra sad that I have a hard time watching it now without thinking about the people I knew in High School who went out and started fights because of it and managed to miss the entire point the movie was trying to make. One of these days, it will be fresh in my eyes. I can't wait.

--Tenacious D

They were funny. Once. But my friends beat them into the ground, and now I become almost nausious when I hear them.

The band question is hard, so that will have to wait for later.

Oh, and just out of curiousity: what is it about "Dirty Dancing" that women like? I had to watch it once with my ex-girlfriend, and it's not bad, but I'm kind of mystified. I guess it's the same with the "Three Stooges" the other way around. Maybe it's just one of those funny gender things. OK, later.

4:03 PM  
Blogger Der verwirrte Ausländer said...

This list tends to change depending on mood and what current phase I'm going through, but I'll try to make it as representative as I can:

OK, Recording Artists In a Not Specifically Important Order:

1) Bob Dylan
2) John Prine
3) The Clash
4) Otis Redding
5) The Beatles

God, that's limited, but I guess that's kind of the point of lists sometimes. Cool. Later.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Der verwirrte Ausländer said...

Howlin' Wolf sould be on there somewhere. Oh, well.

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home